Kumaran hospitals pvt ltd with an expertise of over 3 decades in healthcare is joining hands with Rela institute , a pioneer in hepatobillary and liver transplantation surgery.
ABOUT PROF MOHAMED RELA
Dr. Rela and his Institute, are well known for his expertise in liver transplantation and hepatopancreatobiliary (HPB) surgery. He is considered one of the world’s best liver transplantation surgeons.
He is the Chairman and Director of Dr. Rela Institute and Medical centre, which is a 400 bedded state of the art Super Specialty Hospital in Chromepet, Chennai, India and the Professor of liver Surgery and Transplantation, at the King’s college Hospital, London.
Prof. Mohammed Rela worked in various hospitals in UK before joining London’s King’s College Hospital in 1991, where he continues to be the professor of liver surgery. Niche areas of liver transplantation like auxiliary transplantation, split liver transplantation techniques and live donor liver transplantation were pioneered by him at the king’s college for the world to emulate, and scores of patients to benefit.
Prof. Rela currently works in India, where he set up a successful Living Donor Liver Transplant program performing over 250 liver transplants a year, having performed over a 1500 liver transplants in a shor span of 8 years. he was also the catalyst in starting liver transplants in tier 2 cities in Tamil Nadu, providing access to such high and medical facilities even to people from far flung places.
Prof. Rela is also a busy hepatobiliary surgeon, performing whipple’s surgery for pancreatic cancer, live resections for Cholangiocarcinoma and HCC resection in cirrhotic patients. His research interest is in field of clinical liver transplantation, translation studies into liver regeneration and liver preservation. Further he has been honored with Doctorate of science degrees from three universities, recognizing his service to healthcare. With a focus on a strong, dedicate yet ethical concept of healthcare.
- In a career over 3 decades, Prof. Rela has performed over 4500 liver transplants, including one on a five – day – old baby, earning him an entry into the Guinness book of records in 2000.
- In March 1999, he carried out the first living related liver transplant on a patient with acute liver failure in the UK 18- month- old Luke Bettelley, was given just 48hours to live before the operation.
- In August 2003, he was a part of a team from king’s college Hospital, London which did liver transplant(s) six times for a patient to save her life by performing a bone marrow transplant.
- In September 2009, a team led by him successfully performed the split liver transplantation (first of its kind in India). The liver was split during the retrieval operation into a small left lobe for transplanting a young girl and a larger right lobe for transplanting and older woman with end stage liver disease.
- In May 2011, a team led by him has successfully done swap liver transplantation on adults (first of its kind in India).
- He is the only liver surgeon in India with over 600 scientific publications.
- Worldwide the patient survival rate average 90% while Rela Hospital, Chennai achieved a 99.2%survival rate.